Tag Archives: Cake

A spotty, stripy piece of Cake

So here’s one I made a few weeks back, sometime around mid-May, even. Since it was a spot of pattern testing, I went out and got photos (not knowing how much longer it would fit me for at the moment, gotta seize those photo opportunities when I can, haha!), and waited for the pattern to be released.

And now, it has!

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

It’s the new The Tee pattern from Cake. A nice,simple tee with cut-on sleeves, two neckline options, a wide hem band, and cute little micro pockets for details.

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

And not only that – it’s available as a free download from Craftsy!

Cake – The Tee pattern

It’s a nice top to stitch up, too. Just like other Cake patterns, it’s a connect-the-dots type pattern, where you customise it based on your own measurements. There’s a stripe guide to make it easier to match up any patterns you’ve got happening in your fabric. And there’s even a pattern piece to cut a template for pressing the hems of the micro pockets, making it far easier to get a clean edge on them.

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

I stitched this one up in a remnant of tshirting that’s been lurking in my stash for, oh, I hate to think how long, but several years at least. (Eek!) Quite an unusual fabric – it’s double-sized, with the two sides woven separately but with some of the pattern woven through both sides which sticks them together. (If that makes any sense?)

Anyway, as a result of how the fabric is, it means the edges kinda curl up and away from each other, which is a pain to sew on things like micro pockets, but whatever, it still worked out ok despite the fabric’s quirks, although it did make it nearly impossible to get the edges of the micro pockets sitting right. (Also turns out the fabric had less cotton content than I thought. I may have found this out the hard way, with the help of my iron. Oops!)

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

Plus, since it was striped on one side and spotted on the other, it meant I could do contrast bands and pockets and they’d be in the exact same colours as the main fabric. Super-easy fabric matching. Win!

I must admit to using a different way of doing the v-neck’s point than the mitered one in the pattern, not for any particular reason except that I was stitching all this up on my overlocker (serger) and couldn’t be bothered changing machines. Yes, I can be that lazy at times. Sorry not sorry. (Although I am hanging my head in shame a little at the admission….)

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

Not a lot else to say about this pattern, really. It’s cute, it’s a good fit (slightly loose but not too loose – I am wearing it over a singlet and a merino top in these photos, so it’s looking a bit of a tighter fit than it actually is), and a simple make. Plus, you know, it’s free. 😉

(It’s also a good way to try out a Cake pattern, if you haven’t used one before.)

Spotted Cake Tee | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

We took these photos out on a beach on Wellington’s south coast, directly before I stripped down to get photos of my Soma bikini. (Eek! Cooooold!).

Such a pretty beach. Crashing waves, rocks, and a doorway through a rock face. There’s just something about beaches in winter, don’t you think?

rockBeach

The Cupcake top

Here it is folks – my second attempt at the green Hummingbird top from Cake patterns!

A huge thank-you to all of you who gave me feedback on my first ill-fitting attempt. Quite frankly – you guys rock! 😀

And here it is, Hummingbird number two:

Cake patterns Hummingbird green peplum top

Since this one worked out ok, I even gave it a name. It’s a small piece of Cake, so it gets to be a Cupcake. Hah.

Cake patterns Hummingbird green peplum top

Following on from suggestions received, I made it up in one colour, a dark colour, and a colour I know I like (purple!), so as to eliminate any issues of the I-don’t-know-if-I-hate-it-because-of-the-colour type. This time, it’s made up in a mid-weight cotton/poly blend tshirting.

As far as fit goes, I made several adjustments following the last top. I cut the sleeves as the shorter-sleeved version, which I think definitely helps the overall look of this on me. I took it in by about 2cm at each side seam at the waist, and I also raised the waist by 5cm in front and 6cm at the centre back.

I decided to leave the neckline as it was for this one, just to see what it looked like when the rest of the top was fitting ok. Next time, I’ll go with the recommendation to widen it – it’s not really doing much for me the way it is.

back

I must admit though – I’m still not 100% sold on this top on me. (Maybe I’m just out of practice with wearing knit tops?) It just doesn’t seem to be sitting right, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what to throw over the top of it when the weather gets colder (which, in Wellington, is several times a day, all year ’round). Meh.

The peplum is kinda fun, though. 🙂 So I’m going to try making another peplum top, this time in a woven fabric. I’ve got a 1940’s peplum shirt pattern to make up, or maybe I’ll try the top version of the La Sylphide pattern from Papercut first….

Cake patterns Hummingbird green peplum top

Photos for this were up at the Truby King garden, not too far from where we live. It was a beautiful winter day (so beautiful the weather lulled me into a false sense of warmth, which has been brutally dashed back to reality today *brrrr*) so we went for a walk and after climbing up the big hill I got brave and stripped down to short sleeves for photos. Just for you, lovely readers, to show you my new top in surroundings a bit more interesting than our lounge. 😉

Cake patterns Hummingbird green peplum top