Yep, I know. It’s 14 January already, and I’m only just now getting around to doing my final reflections-on-2013 post. (Goal for 2014: get reflections on the year done faster….)
Anyway, here’s the last of the prompts from Gillian (who organises this wee round-up of insights), all grouped into one read.
What I learnt in 2013
- I enjoy my makes more if I’ve taken the time to add a few extra details, such as hem tape or covered buttons
- Indie patterns are awesome!!
- The discovery of the wonder tracing fabric – means I no longer hate tracing patterns
- Making my own bias tape and piping isn’t as horribly painfully tedious as I thought it would be, and is actually kinda fun
My goals for 2014
- Just keep doing what I enjoy doing!
- Get those challenges done that I’m part-way through! Sewing dare (I haven’t forgotten, Ginger!) and Sew Bossy (likewise, Oona and Joy!)
- Learnt to knit properly (i.e. actually make something that’s not just a peggy square). All those super-cute cardigans have been tempting me, yes indeed.
What was inspiring me in 2013
- Indie pattern companies, especially Papercut (ethos and experience) and Cake (vision and passion)
- Other sewing bloggers (naturally!), in particular
- Mel – introducing me to indie patterns, full of enthusiasm, and always up for impromptu sewing-discussion breakfasts
- Lladybird and Jo – knitting! Just started my first cardigan – eek!
- Roisin – I love everything she makes. And in a way it kinda justifys my own love of crazy prints, quilting cottons, and bright colours
Overall reflections on 2013
- I made 23 garments for myself (one is yet to be blogged about – soon, I promise!). And 6 garments for other lovely ladies (two yet to be blogged, due to being Christmas presents). Plus a bunch of things for the Little Guy, and baby trousers and toys to give away to charities. And some non-garment gifts, too. So, all around a pretty solid sewing effort in 2013. 😉
- Less failures than previous years, so I must have been learning things as I go
- Made more things for other people, which felt good but had it’s share of fitting challenges
- Didn’t make as much for the Little Man as I wanted to, mainly because he didn’t need much!!
- Completely failed at not adding to my stash (oops!)
- And generally had lots of fun, met great people, and had an all-round pretty good sewing year! Yay!
So there we have it – a few final reflections on 2013.
And now, I’d like to call for a minute of silence. A minute to remember a dear friend, who passed from my life a couple of weeks ago. It was kind of expected – they’d been faltering for a while, taking a bit longer to get up and running at times. But still, we never really expect it to happen, do we?
Yes. I’m sad to say my laptop, she is dead.
(Hence the late reflections post…..)
I got her about 7 years ago. My very first laptop, even. I’d been debating about getting one for a while, and then I saw an ad for Dell, and their new coloured laptop range. I could get a pink laptop?!? Oh heck yes!!!
She’s been with me ever since. Through thick and thin, through starting a blog and meeting awesome people online. Through late-night feedings of a new baby. On a couple of overseas trips. And now? She is gone. 😦
And as a result, my blogging will be rather haphazard/non-existant until my new laptop arrives. I hear it’s shipped, so should be about another week *fingers crossed*