Last year, I picked up some Christmas range craft cottons in the Spotlight post-Christmas sale, with the plan to make aprons for some of the women in my family for Christmas this year.
Guess what? I actually managed to remember to do this! Yay!! And there are the lovely ladies, modelling their Christmas aprons. (With somewhat flushed cheeks, coz Christmas day was hot this year!)
Admittedly, it was helped by my sister-in-law (who was my person to buy a gift for this year – we each buy for one person each year so the Christmas gift-giving doesn’t get too insane and overwhelming) saying she wanted an apron for Christmas.
Turns out I quite enjoy making aprons. I made one for all the girls in my immediate family this year, and if I didn’t have about four aprons now myself I would have made myself one as well. (I am still rather tempted to make myself one, just because I can.)
The candy-striped apron and the white-with-red-dots apron were made by tracing around an apron I own – it’s a good, basic bib-front apron design, with long ties that can either be worn at the back or wrapped around again and tied in the front. I added two pockets to the candy-striped one, with the stripes going in the opposite direction to the apron body just for fun. And to the spotted one I added one big pocket, and stitched down the centre of it to make it a double pocket. They’re both super-functional, good for wearing in the kitchen for big cooking and baking missions.
The one in the middle was made using Simplicity 3384, a vintage pattern from 1950. I’ve had this pattern in my stash for a while, and I’ve been looking for an excuse to break it out and give it a go! My sister Jenna was a good candidate for this style. This was definitely a more complicated pattern – the front is dart-fitted, the skirt is gathered and has scallops around the base, there’s an oval-shaped pocket (always fun to press the hem on those. Not.) and the shoulder straps and waist ties are gathered where they attach to the apron. Quite a lot going on! I made this one in a red-and-white polka dot cotton that I got at Fabric-a-brac a while back, on their Hospice fundraiser table. The white-with-red-spots contrast fabric is the same I used for the spotted apron. This pattern made for a fun and quirky apron – the sort I can imagine people wearing with high heels and pearls while dusting with a feather duster.