Since the Mending Pile Monday plan has been working so well for me (several items have made their way out of my mending/alterations/UFO pile and into my wardrobe! Yay! Some took years to get there, but I’m finally making some progress!), I thought I’d give myself another challenge. Turns out I like challenges.
I have a bad habit. It’s called Keeping Scraps. You know, those bits of fabric that are just big enough they may come in useful some day. Like if I ever did a quilt. Or wanted to make an applique on a garment. Or something like that. It’s a terrible habit, resulting in lots of piles/bags/boxes of little scraps hoarded all over the place. And I suspect it’s a habit that many stitchers have, too (do you?!?).
I’ve been doing this for years. Sometimes I use the scraps. I always intend to, when I add them to my scrap collection. I always have plans for little projects to use them on. But then I always get distracted by the big garment-sewing projects. Oops. And so the pile grows…..
Hence my new challenge. I’m calling it Scrap Busting Tuesdays. The idea being, every Tuesday I’ll make something using some of the scraps. If I’m a good girl and keep it up, after about 20 years or so, I may have used most of them. (Or maybe not, since I tend to add a few to the pile each week. Hmmmm.)
I’ve got a few containers of scraps. I figured I’d pick one to start with and work my way through at least half of it before hauling another container out and trying to condense them into one. The one I choose to begin with was this lovely vintage suitcase that used to belong to my Great Aunt.
Until a couple of weeks ago, I could close this suitcase. Then the contents sort of exploded on me and I can’t shut it any more. Which somewhat destroys the appearance of my stack of vintage suitcases. So clearly, it’s the first container to tackle.
As you can see, it’s kinda jam-packed. Don’t be too alarmed though – it’s just a little suitcase. There’s my tea mug next to it, so you can get an idea of the size.
I decided for my first scrap-busting project, I’d do something I’ve been meaning to do for ages and make a mug rug. So I went hunting for a tutorial, and came across this lovely and simple one.
I had a colour theme in mind of browns and creams, so I hunted through my scrap suitcase, found some remnants of a cream cotton and a brown-and-cream loose-weave blend, and a white polar fleece scrap (which I used as batting, so it can all go through the wash easily) and made this:
It may be simple, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. In fact, I may try my hand at another, slightly more complicated one next week……