Fabric: about 1 metre of wool (or acrylic?) blend woven stuff from my stash – I’m going with ‘free’ as it was a remnant from something else I made a few years ago. And about half a metre of red lining, also leftover from another project.
Pattern: McCall 804
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: to visit the in-laws, then shopping for baby stuff
Bump: 25 weeks
Wear again? yep!
Total cost: free! Yay!
Not the most exciting title for this garment I’m afraid to say – the creative part of my brain is taking a nap right now. Hah.
Anyway – it’s tartan (well, technically plaid, but tartan sounds better I reckon), the pattern is from 1940, and it’s a bolero. Hence it’s name.
(I really do feel this deserves a better name, though. Any suggestions??)
I started this well over a week ago, for the 1940′s challenge over on Sew Weekly. Then the pregnancy exhaustion more-or-less knocked me out again for a few days (it goes in cycles – I figure it’s when the little creature is having a growth spurt), so no sewing got done for a week. (A week! Eek!! That’s almost unheard of around here!!!) But now, it’s done! Yay! And I love it, and intend to wear it quite a bit, so that’s all ok then.
There was, of course, some ‘help’ from a cat in the making of this. For this garment, the little helper was Roxy.
I’m quite proud of this one – I lined it fully, using a pretty burgundy lining. I love how it slips on nicely as a result, and there’s a flash of colour when I take it on and off. I must admit to ignoring how to line it in the pattern instructions though – it called for slip-stitching the entire lining to the facing. I say, screw that. So I bagged it out instead, and just slip-stitched the gap I left to turn it all the right way in. Far easier, far faster, far tidier, and far less incidences of me pricking my fingers with needles in my slow-and-painstaking hand-sewing process. I’m rather proud of where I slip-stitched the lining closed, too – you have to look reeeealy hard to find out where it was, haha!
This pattern’s been made up before, for the Bookclub Bolero pretty much right on a year ago. I must admit I haven’t really worn that one – after I wore it the first time, I decided I wanted to line it, and I still haven’t gotten around to it. *hangs head in shame* Now that I’ve got this tartan edition finished, I’m all motivated to line that other one and wear ‘em both. After all, they’re the perfect length to wear over preggy dresses!
I like this little pattern. It goes together nicely, and has details I like, such as the four darts at the sleeve head. Just like with the Bookclub Bolero, I went for an amalgamation of the two styles – the curved, collarless front of style B, with the plain back of style A.
If I gaze into the crystal ball of things-I’m-likely-to-sew-in-the-future, I predict a long-sleeved version of this at some point. I’m curious to see how it would go long-sleeved….